Sunday, January 1, 2012

My New Pal

If you read this post you already know losing weight wasn't a resolution of mine for 2012. It isn't. It just so happens that it is a new year and I'm ready to get this weight off. I really thought after I had Sadie I would bounce back in couple of months and be myself again. I've thought about this a lot lately and some friends on Twitter were talking about it tonight as well. I know that some women have an easy time after having a baby and I just didn't. I can't say exactly what was wrong but I just wasn't myself. Things just didn't feel right. After the first couple of weeks the extreme emotions slowed down but I just couldn't get it together. Hormones are crazy and I was NOT prepared for how off I would feel.


I will be honest I still don't really feel like myself but I finally feel like I'm getting there. I think this has a lot to do with why I'm ready to change a few things, including my body.


This past week I've started trying to keep track of eating and exercising. I'm using the My Fitness Pal app and it is great. You can log in online or on your phone. I tried using this in May but I failed. I think this time things will be much better. A lot of it has to do with my friends. This app allows you to connect with friends so you can encourage each other and have accountability. When you know other people will know if you meet your goal, lose weight, log your food, etc it sure makes it easier to say no to dessert or going back for seconds. Lots of girls were talking about it on Twitter so I decided it was time for me to join the fun.


So far so good. My new pal and I are getting along just fine. I've set a few goals and I feel good about them.


Only time will tell...

5 comments:

The Rohman Family said...

Good luck with your goals! After the first, it took me a long time to feel back to my normal self, too, and I'm not talking about weight either. Second time around was a much quicker recovery :)

Bethany said...

I agree w/ the first comment Hillary. After my first it took a good year to feel "normal" again. It wasn't weight that was a problem (although I did never lose the last 10 lbs post-pregnancy). It was just me feeling that "off" way you describe. Hang in there and know that the next time around gets much easier. Perhaps it's because with two kids you're too busy to stay in that rut?? I don't know exactly, but my 2nd and 3rd times around have been easier in terms of feeling myself again.

Wishing you a lot of success in your weight loss. I post "Weight Loss Wednesdays" on my blog each week if you ever want to check them out. I did this in 2010 when I lost 22 lbs, only to put it back on (and some!) when I got pregnant again. I'm doing it again and enjoy looking back to see where I was, what worked, and what didn't.

Have a great week; Happy New Year!

Jill said...

I hear ya, girl. I didn't even have the energy to think about losing weight until Amelia was 6-7 months old and then it still took me a long time to get it off. Carrying/having a baby does a number on your entire body/emotions/mindset. Don't be too hard on yourself...it will come off - just takes time.

Darlene Schacht said...

A friend of mine just told me that she lost 44 pounds in 2011 and 22 in 2010. 66 in total! The funny thing is that the time has flown by so incredibly quickly. Seems like just yesterday she started this journey. But at the start of it all, I'm sure it seemed like a looming mountain to her.

Always tough to get started, and you've taken that step already!

World of Waxes said...

I am a new reader to your blog. I have a 3 month old. This is my third. I am trying to lose weight. I also use my fitness pal. We should be friends on there! My screen name is waxette83