Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sprung A Leak

A couple of weeks ago Josh brought my attention to something going on in our apartment. It sounded like there was water turning on and off somewhere behind the walls. We'd hear it turn on for a few seconds and then shut off. It would repeat this pattern every 15 minutes or so. Since it always shut off we didn't pay too much attention. Last week Josh noticed the water was running but was not shutting off. Josh checked our toilet to see if something wasn't working properly but everything seemed fine. At that point he called our apartment manager and someone came over to check it out. They couldn't find anything and so they went on their merry little way.

Yesterday morning I received a phone call from Josh letting me know that while he was getting ready the sprinkler in our closet started leaking water.

He told me he was going to call the apartment manager again to have them come look at it. It was a few minutes later when he called back and said now the sprinkler in our dining area was leaking water as well.

He then proceeded to list ALL the areas in our apartment that were leaking such as the vent and sprinkler in our bathroom...

The ceiling in our living room...

and the ceiling above our bar area....

I was beginning to stress out. All I could envision was the sheet rock bursting and water going everywhere. I made sure Josh took precautions to protect my dining room table and sewing machine. You know, the important things. Fortunately the maintenance staff arrived soon and started taking care of the problem. Apparently it was an issue with our upstairs neighbor. The guys worked hard getting things cleaned up and dried off. I am just so glad Josh was home! He was supposed to have left our place by 8 that morning while the leaking didn't start until around 8:30. I hate to imagine what we would have found if we had arrived home at 5:00 that afternoon. Because of all the water we now have some new accessories in our place.

One in our closet.

And one in our living room.

7 comments:

Betsy said...

Oh no! I'm so glad you found it before anything was ruined! And the best part about it is that you are in an apartment so at least you won't have to pay to have it fixed! Uuuugghhh!

Jill said...

I am so glad they fixed this before your things were ruined. That would have been terrible!!

Lauren said...

Yikes, glad it was caught in time. Would hate to see what would have happened!!!

Lauren said...

Yikes, glad it was caught in time. Would hate to see what would have happened!!!

Amanda (McNeely) Vestal said...

How stressful! Glad everything is going to be okay!

Heather said...

Oh man Hilary, that stinks!! On the bright side, it's in your apartment that you don't own!! So fortunately the bill won't be coming to you, right? Hopefully nothing else will happened and nothing will get ruined!
I have loved getting to know you through twitter and love reading your blog!! You seem like such a sweet sweet girl!! I have read that on everyone's blog! :)

Shannon said...

I just wanted to tell you that the burp cloth you gave me is my favorite one! I don't know what kind of material it is but it is so big and thick and great! :) I use it everyday!