Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sew Fun

Wow, another new year all ready. Can you believe it? I certainly can't. I was thinking about my resolutions for the year and decided to check on mine from last year. You can read them here. I didn't do so great on a couple points but on others I'm pretty proud of myself. So for this year I'm not really going overboard with my resolutions. We still want to keep working at our goal of Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace. It's been going well so far but we have a ways to go. And of course I want to lose weight but that's not anything "new". I actually started the process back in August and although it has been slow it has been successful. The NEW thing for the year has to do with a NEW found interest...sewing. It is so fun! It stresses me out sometimes but I love it. I was able to get a machine that is a lot more advanced than my other one. I asked a bunch of experienced sewers, read lots of reviews, checked out machines on consumer reports and what I determined wasn't super fascinating. One person liked one machine another person like another machine and it all had to do with what they were used to and what suited them. So from there I went around to local dealers and one got me interested in Brother Innovis machines. I know there are lots of Brothers and some aren't very good but these got great reviews. I also heard a lot of good things about Bernina but they are out of my price range. What ended up happening was that Josh and I went to a dealer that had a used machine (one year old) for a really good price and I was able to get it. I know, you're thinking, some road to financial peace. Well, don't worry I used my Christmas money and some other money we had set aside. This machine certainly didn't affect our budget. So with all that said, here she is asleep...

and here she is awake...
Here's what they used to show me an embroidery sample
When I first got it I was less concerned about embroidering and more concerned if I could thread a bobbin with ease. Yep, I sure can!

I think there are going to be lots of good times shared with my machine. She needs a name, any suggestions??? No, Laurie, I'm not naming her Kristen. :) Lucky for me my sewing classes started back up last night. I made a CUTE apron. It's not finished yet but I will post pictures when it is. I have lots of things I'd like to try to make soon. In fact next week I'm getting started on my gifts for this year. Should be fun. I'm excited and hopeful that 2010 will be lots of fun sewing.
****
On a random note, Josh got a new toy too. Since he came to Hobby Lobby and didn't complain while my mom, sister, and I shopped he was able to get a treat. Ha. Here's what he got...


He loved it! Boys are just big kids.


Chloe was traumatized by it.

Later that night she went and hid under the bed when Josh got it out. That was right before Josh took it outside to fly it and it landed on the roof at my parent's house. We're supposed to get 50 mph winds tomorrow so I hope that gets it off. It was fun while it lasted.

****

Oh yeah, did you know Burger King has a cupcake shake?!?!? I got online to read what people thought about it. It got mixed reviews so I figured I need to try it myself (on my cheat day of course). I for one thought it was delicious.


And so cute!

6 comments:

TriciaNae said...

I'm jealous of your new sewing machine. My mom and I share mine...so it sees the backseat of my car more than it sees fabric...at least fabric at my house!! I still need to finish my curtains (that are hanging!) from a year ago. Sad. I should probably go get one of those cupcake shakes to cheer me up! :)

Laurie said...

Kristen would be a great name. They both have sharp teeth!(sorta) I am impressed with you!

Lauren said...

Girl, that is so awesome that you have found something that you enjoy so much and can do for you. Can you make all your bloggy friends something? Haha! :)

Kelly’s Korner said...

I'm SO jealous of that sewing machine. I'm going to have to start saving up and get one.
And I found out this summer that Burger King has icees and you can drive thru and get one. It was a revelation for me!

Lexie said...

I LOVE those cupcake shakes. I got one a couple months ago. Good thing for me, we don't have a BK anywhere close.

Jennifer said...

Thanks, now I am craving a cupcake shake!