Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What's Been Going On?!?!

It's been a while since I've blogged. I wish I could say you've missed out on a lot but that wouldn't be true. Not much has gone on. I did have a FABULOUS weekend. Josh and I spent Friday night eating pizza (from the freezer section at Walmart...on $3.33...woohoo, cheap date), watching Gangland, and just relaxing. Saturday he got up early and had to go work with some of his kiddos at church.



Since he was getting up anyway I did the same and was at Walmart by 6:55am on Saturday morning. It was wonderful. I was able to go up and down the aisles without worrying about other people. Loved it! Then I met my friends Jenny and Sarah for breakfast.


What a great time we had! I loved being able to talk and catch up. They were such an encouragement to me and I'm very thankful for them. We're making a "date" once a month just to make sure we don't miss out on each other's lives. I can't wait until April.
After that I went to Target, took a nap, addressed wedding shower invitations for Holly, and that's about it.

Great weekend!!
This week has started off busy as usual. I've spent a lot of time working on our budget and "allocated spending plan". This is all part of our homework for Financial Peace University. One thing we've started this week is the envelope system.


I had often thought about doing something like it in the past but never did. We thought this was a good time to try it since we're submerged in budget/money talk. I think I'm really going to like it. I have made more envelopes that I probably should but I really like it. It helps me keep things organized. And it has already made me stop and think.

By the way, speaking of Financial Peace University...all you single people out there...you NEED to go through it. I wish I had done it before I got married. Money is not a fun topic in marriage so if you're already being a good steward of it before you get married then it would make your marriage that much more wonderful. At the very least you need to read The Total Money Makeover . And I would also recommend you getting yourself an envelope wallet and get started on it today. This whole process has been one of the best things I've done. And even though we got a shock today on how much some dental work I have to have is going to cost, I know we'll be OK if we keep a close eye on where things are going. I just keep telling myself, If you live like no one else then later you can live like no one else. Praise the Lord.

OK, enough money talk. I'm going to get off here, go eat dinner, and get ready for The Biggest Loser! Woohooo!!! Happy St. Patty's Day!

7 comments:

Katie said...

I have heard so many good things from so many people about FPU. I have wanted to do an envelope system for us for a couple years, and we just talk about it and haven't done it yet. A couple of my really good friends do it and it has made SUCH A DIFFERENCE for them.

TriciaNae said...

We are working on our budget right now. I got SO frustrated yesterday that I just quit. This has been SUCH an eye opener for us. I thought we were doing ok....and turns out things are really, really tight. But...my car will be paid off in August...as will most of the credit cards (hopefully). Oh...wont life be grand? LOL

Jenna said...

Glad you had a great weekend - pizza and a movie and home sounds perfect to me!!

And girl, I am so taking to heart your advice about money and financial planning. Such good stuff!

Hope you are having a great week!

Lauren said...

I love Dave Ramsey! And I as well am trying to be a better steward of my money!!!! So glad you had a great weekend and hope you have an awesome week!!! :o)

Megan L Hutchings said...

It sounds like your cheap date night was fantastic ;)!

I have heard a lot of great comments about FPU. It is something I really want us to do at some point.

beckylbranch said...

My husband and I started to read the total money makeover...but never finished! Maybe we need to do that! I can't believe you got up at 6-ish on a Saturday to go to WalMart...I couldn't make myself if I tried! :)

Audra said...

I am glad other people use the envelope system too. I never knew there was a book that talked about it, I thought I made it up....too bad. Hehe. Anyway, I use it for grocery money and it helped me get a good idea of how much we needed to allot for food each month.
I had fun reading your blog!